Mountain biking is one of the most adventurous activities that offers you fun, pleasure, thrill and health in equal measures. Riding the rough terrain of the mountains, you can enjoy the surreal beauty and at the same time live your adventure goals. However, when you step out with the cycle for your next expedition, it is important that you have all the essentials with you. This may include a pair of clothes, some gadgets to stay connected, a few snacks, rain gear, food, bicycle tube and more. To carry all these items you need a quality mountain cycle backpack. There are several options available in the market that offer comfort along with a safe option to carry your stuff. Here we have compiled a list of some best mountain bike backpacks one may consider buying for a mountain cycle adventure:
Top 5 Mountain Bike Backpack Ultimate Comparison
Reviews of 10 Best Mountain Bike Backpack
CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack
A perfect blend of trend, comfort and space, this backpack from CamelBak is a perfect package for any cycling enthusiast. The backpack is made of high-quality fabric and boasts of ergonomic design. You can store all your essential cycling stuff in this bag and zip them to safety from rain and extreme conditions. CamelBak is a renowned company and its excellence is transferred to the bag, offering the user the utmost comfort and security for belongings.
- This is an iconic bag from CamelBak which features a perfect narrow gauge design
- It is thoughtfully made to offer cargo fit and the use of breathable fabric ensures hydration.
- Highly lightweight, the bag has enough room to store items and the straps are strategically set to offer optimum comfort while carrying.
- It features fryer arms and center baffling along with a low profile design which offers is style and strength.
- There are a total of 6 pockets- 3 interiors and 3 exteriors.
- A bespoke mountain cycle backpack, it has separate compartments for bike tools, clothes and other items.
- The backpack also features xv back panel, helmet hooks, magnetic tube trap and more.
- Extremely lightweight, the backpack has enough room to store all essentials and the M.U.L.E. technology makes it very easy to maneuver even when it is fully loaded.
- It is easy to open and close which makes it highly user-friendly for long biking tours.
- Although it is a popular backpack, it has been reported as less comfortable for people with a broad built.
Osprey Packs Raptor 14 Hydration Pack
Osprey backpacks are known for their quality built and Raptor 14 Hydration pack is no exception. It is a striking black colored backpack that meets all your mountaineering needs perfectly. With many pockets and ergonomic design, it offers high user-friendliness which makes it a popular choice. From storing gears to carrying bike helmets, there is a provision of everything in this bag that facilitates your mountain tours. A few unique features of this popular mountain backpack includes:
- It has a lid lock attachment that is purposely made to carry helmets.
- Lightweight and sturdy, the backpack is easy to maneuver and has sufficient room for storage.
- Ergonomically designed, it has separate compartments for organization, both internally as well as externally.
- It has two types of straps side compression and cross compression which work for stabilization and a carriage strap respectively.
- To make way through the dark, the bag has a blinker light attachment to install a light attachment.
- The backpack has a comparatively large hydration compartment with a capacity of 3 liters.
- It features a hip belt pocket for storing money, keys and like items, securely.
- The hydration pack has an old styled closing. Also, it might get dirty and is tough to clean.
- The bag fails to fit broad structured people.
CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack, 100oz
Another entry from CamelBak, this bag also features its signature M.U.L.E. technology. Made bespoke for vigorous mountain cycling adventures, this backpack is one of the most ergonomic built product from CamelBak. The back panel is fitted with an air director which keeps your back dry and cool while you ride the tough terrain. A 3-liter water reservoir stores sufficient water while the crux opening offers 20% more water in every sip to quench your thirst. Some additional features of this premium backpack include:
- It features a leak-proof cap which is easy to open and close as well as prevent leakage.
- The drinking tube is connected to a button that allows easy disconnection for drinking and refilling the tube.
- The tube comes with an additional Anti-Microbial HydroGuard Coating, which is BPA, BPF and BPS free. It also boosts the hygiene value of the backpack.
- There are several external hooks for carrying stuff like ropes, extra bottles, helmets and more.
- Befitted with M.U.L.E. technology this bag features narrow gauge design that allows easy maneuverability.
- It has several pockets, both internally and externally, to keep your stuff organized.
- Easy to load ad refill the backpack is a highly user-friendly.
- There are complaints regarding water leaks as well as poor zipper quality.
Unigear Tactical Hydration Pack Backpack 900D
If you are an adventure freak, here is a perfect backpack for you. Whether you enjoy mountain cycling or hiking or maybe mountain climbing, this backpack includes a number of features that will fit in all your expectations. It features a variety of features that allow easy maneuver and comfort and also fits all body types (kids to adults). The thoughtful design has adequate placing of pockets and also inclusions like whistle buckle to deal with emergencies. It has adjustable features and can be made bespoke according to the need and built of the person carrying it. Some more features that make this backpack a premium choice includes:
- Heavy duty construction of Rugged 900 Denier Polyester that offers it longevity. It is further lined up with PVC lining which boosts its strength.
- The water capacitor can store 2.5-liter water and has a hands-free hydration hose that allows easy use.
- The water bladder is made with high-quality material and is completely BPA free. To keep the water cool, you may add ice to the bladder.
- It is lightweight and compact to carry on all adventure expedition without being overloaded.
- It comes with a 60 days money back guarantee in case you do not find the product satisfactory. The purchase price is immediately refunded.
- It has many pockets which allow storing a number of items including phone, towels, snacks, wallet, keys and more.
- The water reservoir is reported to have leakage.
- The water mouthpiece too is loosely fitted and comes apart easily.
Teton Sports Oasis 1100 2 Liter Hydration Backpack
Teton Sports backpacks are widely famous amid adventure enthusiasts. The Oasis 1100 hydration backpack is one of the most sold and popular backpack from the backpack manufacturer. It was loved by mountain bikers for feature-rich construction and sturdiness that makes it a great companion while riding tough terrains. With a built-in water reservoir and an easy to use tube for water supply, this is a popular backpack for all types of adventure sports. Moreover, it is a unisex backpack and can be worn for long hours without soaking your back in excessive sweat. Here is what else this backpack has in store for you:
- It is an 1100 cubic inches backpack that is comfortable and lightweight for long-duration expeditions.
- The water cabinet measure 2 liters and made from BPA free material. It also features 2-inch openings that allow adding ice to the cabinet.
- It is fitted with quality foam stabilizers and an adjustable strap so that it can be used by anyone in the family or friends.
- There are several zippers for organizing stuff and all of them is guarded with an extra weather protective coating.
- The backpack features a sewn-in rain cover to protect your backpack and the items in store from the rain.
- It also has a shock resistant chest strap which keeps it in place when you ride through the tough terrains.
- Poor zippers quality might disappoint you while using this mountain cycling backpack.
Sunhiker Cycling Hiking Lightweight SMALL Daypack M0714
Sunhiker Cycling Hiking Backpack is an ideal possession if you are fond of raiding the mountain on your bike. It is a made specifically for rough usage and the high-quality construction vouch for the same. Available in a stylish grey and orange color, the backpack has all the qualities that you have been looking for in an ideal mountain cycling backpack. There are other color variants too including blue, black, green, purple and grey. High on user-friendliness and aesthetics, it is the ideal bag for an overnight expedition as it also features enough space. Here are additional specifications of this trendy backpack:
- High-quality material construction with an ergonomic design
- It has adjustable, breathable mesh fabric shoulder-straps for more comfortability and ease of use.
- The bag features nylon material construction which is also water resistant.
- Bottle holder pockets on both of the sides and interior partitions for organizational needs.
- It also has a cross zipper to store items like keys, cash, charger, wallet, phone and more.
- It is thoughtfully designed and meets the requirements of all types of bikers including men, women, and teenage boys/girls.
- It is perfect to store items for any activity like mountaineering, hiking, biking, camping and more.
- It does not have an inbuilt water reservoir like most other variants in the market.
- Even the bottles holders are small and do not hold average sized bottles.
MIRACOL Hydration Backpack with 2L Water Bladder
A bag with a built-in water reservoir, the MIRACOL Hydration Backpack is perfect for your next expedition. Aesthetically advanced and structurally equipped, the backpack is popular amid young adventurers who plan frequent biking, hiking and camping in the mountains. It is a sturdy construction and the quality of the material makes it tough to wear and tear. With enough storage space and a replaceable water bladder, the bag is claimed to be the best purchase at a budget price. Here are some key features of this backpack from Miracol:
- It features a replaceable water bladder that can carry 2-liter fluid at a time. The backpack also has thermal insulation feature that keeps your liquid cool for up to 4 hours.
- The bag promises both comfort and longevity, thanks to its expert construction and high-quality material built.
- It is lightweight and does not add additional weight to your back. It weighs only 1 pound.
- Structurally blessed, the backpack has several compartments to store like items systematically.
- There is a 100% money back guarantee with this backpack from the manufacturer.
- It is very durable and comfortable along with a breathable fabric that keeps your back cool and dry.
- The water barrel does not work well and there are complaints about less water and more bubbles.
CamelBak 2016 Skyline 10 LR Hydration Pack
Another marvel from the CamelBak, the 2016 Skyline 10 LR Hydration Pack is an excellent choice for adventurers. If you love riding the rough terrains that offer you a bumpy ride, this bag, with its lumbar design sticks to your back without offering you shocks. It has a number of pockets along with multiple hooks and slits to accommodate all your essential gears and items. It features some pretty bright colors which make it pleasing to the eyes while the decent design offers you ultimate comfort. Some additional feature of this premium backpack includes:
- It is an MTB backpack with a variety of features that make it perfect for a mountaineering expedition or cycling uphill.
- Some unique features of the water reservoir system include an easy to use cap, dryer arms, quick link system and more.
- It can carry a number of essentials including helmet, armor, and more.
- The backpack also features a waist belt that can carry small belongings like keys and cash.
- It is lightweight and has multiple pockets to stock all items systematically.
- It comes with CamelBak lifetime guarantee.
- The backpack takes a toll over your shoulders and might cause you a back pain while you carry your stuff.
CamelBak Classic Hydration Pack, 85oz
CamelBak never disappoints you when it comes to useful adventure backpack and the Classic Hydration Pack is one of its best products. The backpack features a striking design which is sleek yet has space to carry all your must-have belongings. It has an advanced water reservoir which is said to be the best from CamelBak. It is available in three color variants so you have a great choice to pick any one of them. Approved for sturdiness, security and comfort, this backpack is exactly what you need for those tiring, blood pumping cycling sessions. Check out some more features of this backpack from CamelBak:
- The backpack features a sleek design which is made specifically to offer more comfort to the back and the shoulders.
- There is a reservoir that features a special design and thus offers 20% more water in every sip.
- The pockets are secured with quality zippers which keeps the stuff safe and tidy.
- The shoulder strap and the harness have breathable fabric and hence the user enjoys an easy maneuver.
- It is sturdy, offers breathable fabric, comfortable to carry and has a great capacity for a biking tour essential packing.
- The water reservoir delivers just a perfect mouthful of water with every sip.
- Many users have reported a leak in the reservoir.
Lowepro Photo Sport 300 AW II
A complete solution for your adventurer needs, the Lowepro Photo Sport 300 AW II is the most advanced backpack available in the market. It is probably the most feature-rich bag to own as it has arrangements to keep every item you would ever need to take along on a cycling trip. If you love clicking pictures while raiding the mountains on your favorite bike, this bag has special arrangements for storing all those DSLR essentials. It has an ergonomic design, which makes carrying heavy camera equipment easy and comfortable. Check out some additional key features that make this backpack a popular choice:
- Separate compartment for DSLR, camera lens, water reservoir, as well as some snacks, clothes and other essentials.
- Ultra-secure pockets to ensure complete safety of your expensive DSLR while you ride the rough terrain.
- It features a built-in All Weather AW Cover which protects your gears from extreme weather conditions and elements.
- Many connection straps that offer easy grip to most of your extra gears like tripods, helmets and more.
- It has a belt that tightens the backpack’s grip offering protection against the bounces.
- It can store up to 2 liters of water to help you stay hydrated.
- The DSLR compartment is reportedly very compact to hold a professional camera.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Backpack for You?
People who enjoy raiding the mountains, often restrict taking too much weight with them. Hand baggage become out of the question when we are talking about cycling on the mountains. The mountain bike backpack, however, offers just the perfect balance and weight distribution abilities to the cyclist to prevent an accident while cycling and enjoy the landscapes at the same time. If you are a mountain biking enthusiast, here is how you can choose the best backpack for your next mountain ride:
- Consider the volume:
The thumb rule of mountain bike backpacks is that they are made sleek and expand at the length. This is because it helps in keeping the items close to the body and avoiding bangs. These backpacks are small and hence the capacity measures in a few liters only. The common variants available include:
- Less than 10 liters
- More than 10 liters but less than 20 liters
- More than 20 liters but less than 30 liters
- More than 30 liters but less than 40 liters
- 40 liters and more
Depending upon your needs you can pick any capacity.
The backpack lies along with your back and thus the length of the wearer’s back is critical while choosing one. This is the reason there are separate variants for men and women. To measure the back, the area from the iliac crest to the lowest cervical vertebrae C7 is considered.
Also, the shoulder straps should lie between the blades on the shoulders. The backpack should lie right at the center of your back. If it lies too close or too far, you need to consider the variant.
- Water reservoir:
Most of the mountain bike backpacks come with a water reservoir pocket. A plastic bag with a drinking tube can be built-in or can be bought separately. This allows easy drinking arrangement and you don’t even have to take off your hands from the bike handles. The water reservoirs have different capacities including:
- 1 to 1.5 liters
- 1.5 to 2 liters
- 2 to 2.5 liters
- 2.5 liters to 3 liters
- 3 liters and above
It is common to rain on the mountains and if you are carrying some essential in your backpack, you will definitely want to protect them from the elements to sort the purpose, mountain bike backpack manufacturers come with waterproofing covers that are either built-in or needs to be manually spread as soon as the rain is experienced.
- Straps for hanging gear:
You will have a helmet, camera tripod (in case you are a photographer) or many such gears while biking. While carrying them in hand is out of the question, a perfect backpack will have an extra strap to hold these items.
These are some of the tips that will help you locate the best mountain bike backpack. Finding the best one is a must if you want to enjoy a great trip to the mountains. There are several types of mountain backpacks available for different sorts of needs. You can evaluate each one of them in terms of features and your budget and make a perfect choice. These bags can carry a lot of essential items and offer durability if you care for them. So, head out and check all those smart, comfortable and classy backpacks available in the market.