If you have owned any Thule products before you will already know and expect this to be a well-made bag, and that is certainly the case. This backpack screams quality and Thule have truly thought of everything when designing it. The exterior is tough with a sleek design and the zippers are high quality, with large zipper pulls for grabbing. There are many compartments and pockets, all of which have a real purpose rather than just taking up space.
That being said, it does come with a fairly hefty price tag but if money is no object and you want the best then you will be very happy with the Thule Crossover 32L. Read on as we explain what makes this such an excellent laptop backpack and any problems you should look out for.
Specifications and Features
This is quite a large bag making it well suited to frequent travelers and students with lots of books to carry. Though you should bear in mind that if you have a smaller frame, this bag may look huge to wear and even be slightly uncomfortable.
As you may expect for it’s size, it can fit laptops up to 17 inches and Thule advertise that it is able to store a 17 inch MacBook Pro and iPad securely. It also includes a bottom storage pocket designed to keep power cables and other accessories for your electronics.
As mentioned earlier this backpack is designed almost to perfection, as you may expect from the price tag. There are lots of pockets and unlike some bags where they seem to be random, they all have a purpose thought up by the designer.
It even has something new to us which is a “Shove-it” pocket which as the name suggests, allows you to shove items like a newspaper inside without having to unzip the bag first.
Other nice design features include a crush-proof compartment for your sunglasses and other fragile items such as your mobile phone or MP3 player.
In terms of comfort, this bag does well, the straps and handles are rugged yet well padded and very comfortable at the same time. They are also very easy to adjust to make sure it supports your frame. Even under a heavy load this bag remains comfortable with good weight distribution which is important due to the large amount of items this bag can hold.
- Build Quality
As alluded to earlier, the construction quality of this bag is first class, it uses high quality materials and is built with care to last a very long time. Thule have such confidence in their workmanship that they back it up with an unbelievable 25 year warranty. So in summary you are buying a very solid bag with plenty of padding to ensure your laptop and valuables are very well protected and secure.
- Other Features
- Organization compartment keeps cords & other accessories & necessities at hand but out of the way
- Side pockets keep hydration close at hand
- Rear organization has elevated laptop compartment for your 17-Inch Macbook Pro and dedicated sleeve for your iPad
Width: 12.5 inches / 31.75 cm
Height: 20 inches / 50.8 cm
Depth: 8.5 inches / 21.6 cm
Weight: 2.8 lb / 1.3 kg
Laptop Size: 17 inches
Color choices: Black
- Compact design but still manages hold a lot of gear
- Many different pockets including one for a tablet
- Hard-shell accessory pouch at the top, ideal for storing sunglasses or other breakables
- Very high quality, well made and built to last a long time with high quality zippers
- Classy looking, sleek looks
- Well padded to keep your laptop protected including at the bottom
- Very well organized and thought out design which justifies the price tag
- Well padded and comfortable shoulder straps
- Amazing 25 year warranty
- Shoulder straps can feel tight and cut into sides of the neck
- It is quite tall which may be an issue for shorter people especially women
- Not very water resistant if it rains heavily
In summary the Thule Crossover 32L is one of hell of a bag, in fact it is probably the closest you will get to the perfect laptop backpack. You are paying a premium price but you can rest assured your money will be well spent. This bag manages to pull off a great combination of clever design, strong build quality, comfort and even good looks.
Your laptop and other gadgets will be well protected and there is plenty of room for all your accessories and other items you need with you.