If you are a regular traveler or going on holiday, one of the things you may need to consider is getting the right carry-on luggage that is easy to pack and bring on the plane. Some carry-on luggages is cumbersome and very hard to put on the overhead compartments because of their weight and size.
Fortunately, there are now under seat luggages which can be stored under plane seats. Thanks to their size, they fall under carry-on luggages which you can bring with you during your trips.
But, before you buy one for your trip, you need to know which luggage qualifies as the best underseat luggage for your needs. In this guide, we will show you which underseat luggages can match your budget and criteria, plus what you need to learn about them. We will also answer some of the questions you have about these luggages to help you pick.
- 1 Top 10 Best Underseat Luggage Reviews
- 1.1 1. Samsonite Upright Wheeled Carry-On Underseater Luggage
- 1.2 AmazonBasics Underseat Carry-On Rolling Travel Luggage Bag
- 1.3 Travelon Wheeled Underseat Carry-On with Back-Up Bag
- 1.4 Aerolite 16.5″ Underseat Women Luggage Carry On Suitcase
- 1.5 Lucas Cabin Luggage Collection Carry On Suitcase
- 1.6 Travelpro Maxlite 5-Lightweight Underseat Carry-On Travel Tote Bag
- 1.7 Lily Bloom Designer 15 Inch Carry On
- 1.8 Ciao Luggage – 15 Inch Under Seat Bag
- 1.9 American Tourister Lynnwood Underseat Spinner Carry-On Luggage
- 1.10 Steve Madden Luggage Wheeled Suitcase Under Seat Bag
- 2 Why do you need an underseat carry on luggage?
- 3 Things to Consider When Buying a Underseat Luggage
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Underseat Luggage Reviews
1. Samsonite Upright Wheeled Carry-On Underseater Luggage
Samsonite Upright Wheeled Carry-On Underseater Luggage presents a new perspective on how people should travel with their carry-on bag. It says it can withstand any travel conditions you put it against while ensuring you can travel efficiently wherever you go.
Samsonite is a world leader when it comes to luggages and ensures that their clientele stay confident with the luggages they produce. The Upright showcases Samsonite’s commitment as it is made to handle all sorts of travel elements and stay intact at a reasonable price.
The luggage uses both polyester and nylon, which are known for being very durable and resistant to wear. Despite using two types of fabric, the luggage is lightweight at 5.5 pounds when empty and fits most airline regulations for carry-on luggages.
When you open this bag, you will immediately see a large main compartment and Wetpack pockets which protects your clean clothes and items from soiled or damp items such as toiletries and used clothing. You can even remove these pockets and hang in on the bathroom for easier access. The pockets can also be used for small items and valuables.
This bag uses polyurethane inline skate wheels and a push button locking handle for easier and resistant-free mobility.
- It has a large main compartment that can fill all sorts of items
- Easy to zip up even if the main compartment is filled to capacity
- There are flaps and side snaps to hold items in place
- It has a durable construction but not too heavy to carry around
- Stands upright without problems unlike other underseat luggages
- May not fit the carry-on requirements if you purchase the Large variant
- Requires careful handling due to poorly done seams and handles.
AmazonBasics Underseat Carry-On Rolling Travel Luggage Bag
If you are looking for an underseat luggage with wheels which is not branded but affordable, the AmazonBasics Underseat Luggage is a great contender. It claims that it is the best rolling luggage for smart travelers and can fit any overhead compartment or under seats in any major airline.
When you get yourself this luggage from AmazonBasics, you can find everything branded underseat luggages have. It measures 13x14x9 inches which allows it to pass airline requirements for carry on luggages. Its interior can hold a volume of 22 liters, which can be organized with the help of its interior pockets. Some of these interior pockets hold all sorts of items, including toiletries and small items.
At the front, it has an easy to access front organizer that can hold personal items without problems. When you travel, you can lock the telescoping luggage handles in place for easy mobility. The bag is also very easy to move around because it uses smooth-rolling wheels that also double as a bag stand.
To ensure that this underseat luggage lasts for a long time, the company used polyester in both exterior and interior parts of the bag. Users will also get a one-year warranty for the luggage in case there are faults and damages.
- Has all the features branded underseat luggages have for a cheaper price
- Easy to organize thanks to its large compartment and zippered pockets
- Very sturdy and durable for longer use and travel time
- Easy to maneuver around airports and streets
- Available in a variety of styles to fit any type of user
- Some report that it does not fit certain airline seats
- The handle can be hard to manage because of its design
Travelon Wheeled Underseat Carry-On with Back-Up Bag
The Travelon Wheeled Underseat Carry-on with Back-Up Bag is the ideal bag in our list for people who need more space but don’t want to pay for additional carry-on weight limits. This carry-on bag comes with a backup bag to give you the space you need for souvenirs and all sorts of extras.
This lightweight bag from Travelon boasts a large main compartment which can handle everything you need for your trip. It can be accessed easily by its dome-shaped flap, which opens the bag easily for better access. The flap even doubles as a foot rest during your flight.
It also has a zippered front pocket that has a front organizer inside to hold important travel documents and valuables. On its side, it comes with a mesh expansion pocket that can hold a standard sized water bottle or canteen.
If you need more space for souvenirs and other items, this bag comes with a full-size back-up bag that you can store inside the bag when not in use. Travelon also added an Add-A-Bag Strap so you can attach the back-up bag to the carry-on easily.
- It has a large compartment to hold items despite the fact it is very slim to look at
- The compartments come with elastic pockets for better organization
- The telescoping handles are very easy to adjust and move the luggage around
- Comes with a waterproof pocket for toiletries and a special water bottle pocket
- Includes an extra foldable bag which can be strapped into the carry-on
- Some of the zippers used in the bag are placed in awkward areas which makes these areas hard to open
- Some report that it is very heavy even if it is empty
Aerolite 16.5″ Underseat Women Luggage Carry On Suitcase
Need an underseat luggage that you can use in both trains and planes? If that is a yes, the Aerolite Underseat Women Luggage Carry On Suitcase is a great place to start. This bag says it can help you bring your things in style and give you mobility unlike other bags in the market.
Aerolite is a company that always combines luxury and convenience in its luggage offerings. In this carry-on suitcase, it is made from high quality polyester which ensures that it is tear, water and stain resistant. The company also used reinforced stitching so it won’t break apart easily.
The bag has three front pockets for personal items and valuables, snacks and liquids. Inside the bag, there is a plastic compartment that can hold wet or soiled clothes. There are also zippered pockets inside, as well as a detachable toiletry bag. It also has 2 compact wheels to provide extra space and a retractable handle for extra mobility.
The Aerolite also comes with other great features such as a 3-digit number lock and an ID card slot for extra security. Users will also get a 2-year warranty in case their bags have defects, as well as a 30-day refund if they are not satisfied.
- The design of the bag is very compact, which fits any compartment or under seat
- The layout makes it easier for users to access their items without fully opening the bag
- There are a lot of compartments for organized packing
- Rolls around very easily
- Surprisingly lightweight even if the bag is filled with items
- Requires careful handling because it may get damaged easily
- Some users say the material used for the bag looks thin
Lucas Cabin Luggage Collection Carry On Suitcase
The Lucas Cabin Luggage Collection Carry On Suitcase is another great underseat luggage that works well for people looking for a convenient and comfortable bag to use. It is made from durable fabric that is carefully designed to handle all sorts of items and travel conditions.
This underseat luggage is made from high quality and fashionable nylon, which is proven to withstand wear and damage. The fabric is also used to line its interior compartment.
The bag measures around 16 x 14 x 9 inches, which passes major airline requirements for carry-on items. Inside the bag, you can see a padded compartment where you can put your laptops or gadgets, as well as your clothes and other possessions. Accessory pockets are also available for small items and accessories.
Outside the bag, there are also zippered pockets where you can put your valuables and travel documents for easier access. The zippers used for the bag are self-repairing so you don’t have to worry about damaging them.
The bag uses recessed in-line skate wheels to help you move the bag easily on any surface while pulling the bag using its retractable pull handle. A 2-year manufacturer warranty is included as an extra customer guarantee.
- Its dimensions match major and low-cost airline requirements for carry-ons
- Made from high quality materials and has a durable construction
- Has a lot of space to allow easy access during TSA checks
- The telescopic handles are easy to adjust and lock for easier mobility
- Very affordable despite the number of features it has for users
- Requires careful handling, especially on the zippers
- Some users report it is not easy to carry because of its irregular design that throws off its balance.
Travelpro Maxlite 5-Lightweight Underseat Carry-On Travel Tote Bag
The Travelpro Maxlite 5-Lightweight Underseat Carry-On Travel Tote Bag is the underseat luggage for travelers who want to travel light. Its unique design can change the way you travel and even help you pack easier.
The Travelpro Maxlite is designed with space and weight in mind. It is very compact, measuring only 11x18x8 inches, and weighs only 1.6 pounds. But, do not let this compact tote bag fool you because it can fit under seats in any major airline fleet. It can also carry loads of up to 28 liters without affecting the structure of the bag.
The bag is also very durable as it is made from high quality polyester fabric. It is stain resistant and comes with a duraguard coating to repel any liquids from damaging your bag. It also uses high-tensile zippers to ensure it lasts for a long time.
The interior of the bag is lined and comes with built in pockets to keep things easy to access and secure them during travels. It also comes with a large front flap for easy access. To ensure users are satisfied with their bags, the company includes its extensive Trusted Companion Guarantee that ensures users can get their bags replaced or repaired for free.
- Very lightweight even if it is fully packed
- Fits under plane seats easily with extra space to spare
- Comes with a lot of external pockets and organized internal space
- Easy to carry whether you use the shoulder straps included with the bag or the padded handles
- Comes with an extensive warranty coverage
- The zippers are made from cheap material and easy to break
- Some users report that the bag’s dimensions are not very accurate
Lily Bloom Designer 15 Inch Carry On
If you are the type of traveler who wants their luggage to stand out, you will never go wrong with the Lily Bloom Designer 15 Inch Carry On Weekender Bag. Made to look stylish but also functionable, this underseat luggage promises to make your travels easier and vibrant.
The Lily Bloom Underseater is designed to be multifunctional because it has a very compact but spacious body. Measuring at 15 x 9 x 14 inches and weighs 4 lbs when empty, this bag can hold a lot of space in it which you can organize through its available compartments.
Each compartment inside the bag is lined in plastic and secured by zippers. Some compartments even have additional pockets inside to hold more items for your travels. To access these compartments, the bag has a U-shaped zipper opening that opens the bag completely. There are also zippered pockets outside the bag to fit all sorts of items you may need to access easily.
For easier travel, it has 2 wheels and can be pulled by an adjustable telescopic push button handle. Top handles are also available if you need to carry the luggage up. This underseat luggage is available in various designs and also comes with a limited 5 year manufacturer warranty.
- It has a lot of space on the inside and comes with straps
- Comes with various compartments for easy access and organizing
- Very lightweight even if it is fully packed
- Comes in all sorts of colors and designs
- Very affordable for its size and features
- Requires careful handling due to reports of poor construction
- Materials used for the bag look cheap and easy to break
Ciao Luggage – 15 Inch Under Seat Bag
For people who want an underseat luggage with spinner wheels, you may want to check out the Ciao 15-Inch Underseat Bag. It says that it can fit in any overhead compartment or under seat of major and low-cost airlines without denting your budget.
This luggage bag from CIAO is made from high quality and durable real ballistic nylon that is capable of withstanding travel damage. When fully packed, this bag will fit in any compartment or underseat thanks to its 15 x 9 x 14 inch size.
When you open the bag, it has a lot of compartments to allow users to organize their stuff for better packing and access. There’s even a padded tablet/laptop compartment inside, plus an accessory pocket for device cables. Outside the bag, you also get several other pockets where you can put personal items and documents. Each pocket has a self-repairing nylon zipper to ensure your items are safe inside the bag at all times.
Mobility wise, this bag comes with a pair of recessed in-line skate wheels that can glide on any surface and a retractable and lockable pull handle. As an additional guarantee, users will get a 2-year manufacturer warranty for this underseat bag.
- Comes with a lot of storage space, especially on the outside for organized packing
- Contents are easy to secure thanks to the compartment snaps included in the bag
- It has a sturdy double top handle that ensures it won’t break when you carry the bag
- The handle has plenty of extension for taller users
- Relatively inexpensive for the features it offers to users.
- Some users find the bag very bulky despite its dimensions and size
- Requires careful handling, especially on the bag handles.
American Tourister Lynnwood Underseat Spinner Carry-On Luggage
American Tourister will definitely be in this list because of the quality of luggages they are launching for all types of travelers. Their Lynnwood Underseat Spinner, in particular, is perfect for in-flight travel and provides functionality for on-the-go travelers.
When it comes to durable, functional and affordable luggages, American Tourister is a brand many people trust. With this underseat luggage, the brand ensured that it will work well for in-flight travel thanks to its 17” x 14” x 9” dimensions.
The bag is made from durable polyester, which is guaranteed to withstand any kind of handling during travels. Inside the bag, it is also lined to protect its contents and comes with a garment strap and a zippered mesh pocket.
Outside the bag, it has a large front pocket for your personal belongings and travel documents. It also has a telescopic handle which makes it easy to move the luggage around, as well as smooth spinner wheels that glides easily on any surface. If you want to carry the luggage, it has a comfortable top handle for lifting.
As an extra guarantee and commitment to its customers, every American Tourister luggage, including this one, comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
- Fits under seats easily with extra space for personal items to slide in
- The wheels can turn in various directions as you move it around.
- Very spacious on the inside for a week long trip.
- Very affordable for an underseat luggage with spinner wheels
- Comes with a very long warranty for damages and defects.
- Some users may find the storage space smaller than other underseat luggages
- The wheels may be hard to manage as some report it doesn’t roll straight.
Steve Madden Luggage Wheeled Suitcase Under Seat Bag
The Steve Madden Luggage Wheeled Suitcase Under Seat Bag is in our list because of the features it promises to users. They say it offers a lot of space for travelers on the go without incurring extra luggage fees.
Steve Madden is known for delivering luxury products for an affordable price for people who wish to add style in their wardrobe. With this underseat luggage, it is designed to be the perfect carry-on bag that will pass major airline requirements for carry-on luggages. It measures 15 x 9 x 14 inches and it weighs only 5 pounds.
The bag features a U-shaped opening which will open the bag entirely for easy packing. Inside the bag, it has a lined interior that comes with multiple zippered storage compartments for various items. There are also exterior pockets in the front and sizes of the bag for more items.
To make it easy to bring around, the bag has a telescopic push button handle that has a comfortable grip. The 2-wheels of this bag are in-line skate wheels, which makes it easy to move around the airport. If you want one of these bags, it comes in six different colors and includes a 5-year manufacturer warranty.
- Slides under plane seats easily without having to stuff it down.
- It has a lot of hidden pockets that have equal amounts of space
- Luggage can be cleaned easily with a cleaning wipe
- The telescopic handle locks in easily and won’t collapse without warning
- Comes with a 5 year warranty for any defects and damages.
- Careful handling may be required to prevent zipper damage and fabric rips
- The plastic wheels can be very noisy to use
Why do you need an underseat carry on luggage?
It can be a hassle to bring a regular carry-on wheeled luggage when you are travelling on a plane. Its size cannot be placed under your plane’s seat and has to be placed on the overhead bin. This can be a hassle, especially if you are in a rush to get out of the plane.
But, if you get an underseat carry on luggage, there are three major benefits in using one:
- Hassle-Free Travel
First, you don’t have to rush into the plane just to get an overhead bin to place your luggage. You simply slide your underseat luggage under your seat and let it stay there throughout the flight. Since it is under your seat, you can reach out to it if you need to get something without having to stand up to get your bag. The bag is also roomy so you can put as many things as you would like inside.
Once you arrive at your destination, you can leave the plane immediately because your bag is just below your plane seat.
- Great for Short Travelers and Those With Back Problems
Second, you don’t have to worry about hoisting your luggage up in the overhead bin, especially if you can’t reach the overhead bins because of your height. It can be difficult to ask others to do it for you, especially if you are travelling on your own. They may end up handling your bag incorrectly and damage the contents it has inside. Others may even ignore you even if they see you can’t reach the overhead bin.
Users who have back pains or injuries will also benefit from an underseat luggage since they don’t have to strain their back to store their bag and get it out.
- Damage-Free Content
Finally, you won’t have to worry about damaging the contents of your luggage as you put it on the overhead bin. When it is in the overhead bin, your carry-on luggage may be crushed by other bags beside it. As a result, the contents inside may be damaged once you open your bag. There is also a possible risk that the bag may fall off from the overhead bin in case your plane experiences a powerful turbulence.
Since you will only put your luggage under your seat, you can be reassured that the contents are easy to check and protect. This is ideal if you will be putting valuables or fragile items in your underseat luggage.
Things to Consider When Buying a Underseat Luggage
Having an underseat luggage with you during your trips will definitely make it easier for you to disembark from the plane. But, not all underseat luggages is made the same and if you want to invest for the right underseat luggage, it has to have the right features.
Here are the things you need to look for when buying a underseat luggage:
Every airline requires travelers to abide by size requirements for their carry-on luggages since it ensures that planes can have space for bags and speed up loading and unloading of passengers and bags. Ideally, your underseat carry on luggage must be around 20” x 17” x 11” but not all airlines have the same size requirement.
If you will be purchasing an underseat luggage for international trips, it must be around 21” to match major airline requirements.
You will be surprised how some carry on bags weigh even if it is empty. When you are buying one for your travels, make sure that weighs around 10 pounds or less while it is empty.
If you like soft-sided luggage, It is ideal that your soft-sfided underseat luggage is made from denier or ballistic nylon fabric. This fabric is very durable and easy to clean. You can also tell that it is very durable if you look at the number of denier fabrics used for the luggage. The higher the number of denier nylon fabric there is, the more durable it is. Meanwhile, if you want to buy hard shell underseat luggage, those made from polycarbonate are ideal.
Since you will put them under your plane seat, it is important that your ideal underseat luggage won’t get damaged when you store it. If you will be using your underseat luggage for a long time, it is ideal that it is a soft-shell luggage rather than a hard shell luggage. Having a hardshell underseat luggage is prone to damage and may get deformed. Meanwhile, a soft-shell luggage can withstand any damage and it won’t deform.
This part is optional if you do not mind carrying your underseat luggage wherever you go. But, having an underseat luggage with wheels is great if you want to put some heavy items in your luggage or don’t want to carry your bags often.
It is important to remember though that if your underseat luggage has wheels, the wheels will add more weight to the bag. So, if you plan to get one with wheels, try to pick the one that is lightweight. It must also have comfortable straps or handles to make it easy to carry in case you can’t use the wheels.
Whenever you buy a luggage, you need to check if it has enough pockets, compartments and separators for all the things you need. Pockets, in particular, are important because you can store small items in them easily. It also makes it easy to get stuff from the luggage without messing the entire bag.
Finally, if you will be buying luggage, you have to consider your budget. Even if you get the most expensive underseat luggage out there, it is not a guarantee that it is good. Have a set budget in mind and check our list.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a difference between carry-ons and personal items?
In some airlines, they allow one “personal item” and a “carry-on luggage” for them to bring inside the plane. Personal items are small bags such as purses, briefcases or a laptop bag, as well as items like strollers or baby bags. Airlines vary when it comes to their restrictions on personal items.
Meanwhile, carry-on luggages are large bags that can fit in the overhead bins or under a plane’s seat. It must pass the airline’s requirements and can be filled with clothes, souvenirs and other items.
- Do I have to follow a certain weight limit for my carry on?
Since they are considered as carry-on luggages, you do have to follow carry-on weight requirements when you use an underseat luggage. Usually, the weight limit for carry-on luggages is 7 kg or 50 pounds but some airlines may allow more weight depending on the passenger numbers and the contents of the bag.
- Are all underseat luggages approved in airlines?
Not all underseat luggages can fit airline rules as each airline – both low-cost and major airlines – have specific size requirements for carry-on luggages. Each bag also has different specifications which may affect how well it fits on the underseat. Check with your chosen airline their specifications for carry on bags/luggages before buying an underseat bag that you can use.
- Do I have to pay for my underseat luggage if I use it as a carry on?
Travelers are not often charged by airlines if they have a carry on with them, whether it is for the overhead bin or underseat. Each airline, even for domestic flights, allows one free bag for them to bring inside the cabin so long as it fits the underside or overhead bin of the plane.
As more people are starting to enjoy air travel, it is a trial to buy the perfect luggage that will make travelling smoother. If you buy an underseat luggage, you won’t have to rush to the airport just to be first in line to get inside the plane. When you get in the plane, you slide down your luggage under the seat and relax.
Check our best underseat luggage guide to get you started and we can assure you that it will make your travels smoother. It will also help you buy the best one based on your needs.