Exploration and backpack traveling are examples of hobbies that would allow you to see what the world has to offer. People enjoy going on adventures to discover places that they have never witnessed before. It is also a way for some explorers to experience some things that they would never encounter in the city and other famous urban areas in the world.
To lead a perfect backpacking experience, you will need to find the most appropriate backpack and equipment to bring with you. Due to the many choices available, it will be quite challenging to select the best one for your travels. To help you in your search, we have listed the ten best Osprey backpacks for you to choose from.
- 1 Top 10 Best Osprey Backpacks Reviews
- 1.1 Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
- 1.2 Osprey Packs Daylite Daypack
- 1.3 Osprey Packs Sirrus 24 Women’s Hiking Backpack
- 1.4 Osprey Packs Atmos AG 65 Men’s Backpacking Backpack
- 1.5 Osprey Women’s Ariel 55 Backpack
- 1.6 Osprey Packs Jet 12 Kid’s Hiking Backpack
- 1.7 Osprey Packs Women’s Kyte 36 Backpack
- 1.8 Osprey Packs Porter 30 Travel Backpack
- 1.9 Osprey Packs Escapist 32 Daypack
- 1.10 Osprey Packs Fairview 55 Women’s Travel Backpack
- 2 Information About Osprey Brand
- 3 What Features to Look For When Buying an Osprey Backpack
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Osprey Backpacks Reviews
Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
Osprey created this bag and incorporated the LightWire frame suspension system, which transfers some load to the hip belt from the harness. This way, you will not have to strain one part of your body. Instead, your shoulders and hip can share the total weight of your backpack.
This design contains a stowaway back panel that can easily hide both the hip belt and harness if you wish for it to have a slimmer profile when you are traveling. Because of this specific feature, this backpack is more convenient to bring onto a plane, whether you check it in or use it as a carry-on. If you decide on the former and not stowaway the suspension system, it could get tangled with other suitcases or stuck on objects throughout the transport process.
- You can easily pack as much as 40 pounds into this backpack.
- No matter how heavy the packed backpack is, the front compression straps can stabilize the weight.
- There are several mesh pockets, where you can place in your smaller items.
- Your items inside are secure with the two internal compression straps.
- A lockable laptop or tablet sleeve is available.
- The top and side carry handles are padded, making it easier to hoist.
- It is the perfect size for a carry-on suitcase.
- The design may not be suitable for taller people.
- The suspension is bulky and takes up a lot of space.
Osprey Packs Daylite Daypack
The company initially designed this backpack as an add-on accessory to the larger Osprey packs. It used to be a compact bag that customers would attach to another bag if the latter were not big enough for their luggage. However, Osprey discovered that it has its individual appealing qualities that would allow it to make it on its own.
Because it is lightweight and durable, you can use this backpack for your everyday use. It is also uncomplicated, simple, and comfortable to use. As mentioned, you could attach your Daylite Daypack onto several Osprey bags, namely:
- Aether/Ariel AG/Pro Series
- Volt/Viva Series
- Shuttle Series
- Sojourn Series
- Farpoint 80
- Farpoint/Fairview Wheeled Travel Pack/Trek/Porter Series
- You can use this bag as an extra compartment for your luggage and attach it to your more giant Osprey backpack.
- There are side mesh pockets where you can store your water bottles or other items that you will frequently need access to.
- The back panel is made out of die-cut foam and covered with a mesh, which improves both ventilation and comfort.
- A front pocket with a mesh organizer and key clip is available.
- It has a built-in hydration pocket, making it an excellent choice to bring with you on your runs. It can hold as much as two liters of water.
- An interior sleeve is available for your laptop or tablet.
- Available in three different colors.
- The size is too small for extended trips or adventures.
- Large water bottles may fall out of the front pockets.
Osprey Packs Sirrus 24 Women’s Hiking Backpack
If you are a woman and are looking for the best backpack to bring on your hiking trip, the Sirrus 24 is the perfect one for you. This design is the women’s version of Stratos 24, with the main difference being the measurements of the hip belt and shoulder straps.
One of the critical features of this backpack is the airspeed suspension of its back panel. Because of it, the Sirrus 24 can provide much ventilation to your back. Since women do not have the same torso lengths, you can easily adjust the back panel to fit your body snuggly.
Since Osprey created this backpack for hiking trips, they have made it possible for you to bring your equipment with you comfortably. You can attach your trekking pole on the built-in attachment system. There is also a bungee tie-off and ice tool loop that you can use to secure your axe ice.
- If ever it rains during your trip, there is an integrated rain cover that you can use to prevent water from going into the bag.
- There is a zippered hip belt pocket that you can use to store items that you need easy access to at all times.
- There is an internal hydration sleeve.
- The hip belt is seamless, making it more comfortable.
- There are several pockets with distinct purposes.
- Unlike the latest Sirrus designs, this bag does not have a zippered sleeping bag compartment.
- For some people, storage size may be insufficient.
Osprey Packs Atmos AG 65 Men’s Backpacking Backpack
This design has a lot of features that make it one of the best and favorite backpacks for men to bring on their extended backpacking trips.
First, Osprey has incorporated the anti-gravity suspension features. They created a continuous back panel, made out of lightweight mesh to provide much comfort and ventilation to the user. Because of this feature, you will feel like you are carrying less weight. Also, the seamless structure allows you to move without any restrictions since it automatically contours to your body.
Another critical attribute is the floating top lid, which you can remove to use the fixed FlapJacket. The former contains dual zippered pockets and various web attachment points to store other things that will not fit your bag. On the other hand, the latter can protect your gear.
- You can make use of the several pockets and compartments to keep all of your materials organized.
- There are several attachment points for your trekking poles and ice tools.
- The harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hip belt can easily be adjusted according to your size.
- The internal hydration reservoir can hold up to three liters of water.
- There are pockets on the hip belt, where you can place your phone or snacks during the hike.
- There is a designated sleeping bag compartment with removable divider.
- To stabilize the weight of your luggage, the company included both upper and lower side compression straps.
- You may not be able to open the zipper of the hip belt pockets with only one hand.
- The hip belt may slide down if you do not properly fit and adjust it to your body.
Osprey Women’s Ariel 55 Backpack
This backpack is yet another one that Osprey has designed especially for women. Similar to the previous bag, this makes use of anti-gravity technology. It is also adjustable to contour the body of the user. It would be the perfect bag to bring on your hikes, alpine exploration, and other expeditions that may take longer than usual.
For a custom fit, the IsoForm5 harness and CM hip belt can fit perfectly on your body, making it more convenient for you to bring around heavy loads for many miles. Once you reach your base camp, you can then remove the top-lid to gain access to the functional DayLid, which is a smaller pack. You won’t have to haul all your gear to explore a nearby summit or to wander around the area.
- It has both upper and lower side compression straps, which stabilize the overall weight of the packed bag.
- There are multiple attachment systems for your equipment, like your trekking poles and ice tools.
- Other than the large zipper, there are different ways to access the main compartment, such as the side panel zip and front J-zip.
- You can store your sleeping bag in the designated zippered compartment with a divider, which you can remove.
- There are sleeping pad straps, which are also removable.
- You can use the built-in rain cover and FlapJacket to protect your gear.
- The hip belt pockets may be too small to fit your phones and other necessities.
- The exterior hydration pocket is narrow and tight, which may make it difficult to place the bladder in when the pack is full.
Osprey Packs Jet 12 Kid’s Hiking Backpack
Osprey creates backpacks designed for not only women and men, but even kids. Although this bag is small, it still has features that are also present in adult-sized packs. Children quickly feel uncomfortable, which is why the mesh back panel of this design is necessary to provide ventilation to the back. Also, the shoulder harness is fleece-lined and have no edge seam, making it more comfortable to bring around all day.
Kids enjoy collecting outdoor materials that they may find during their adventures, such as rocks and leaves. They can place these into the mesh side pockets.
- There are several external and internal zippered pockets to keep the child’s items neatly organized.
- You can attach extra gear onto the lower web loop attachment points.
- Water bottles can easily fit into the dual stretch mesh side pockets.
- There is a mesh harness pocket where you can place your phone.
- For easy packing and unpacking, there is front panel access to the main compartment of the bag.
- The ridge molded foam inside the Airscape back panel allows much ventilation and support.
- It is not waterproof, and there is no built-in rain cover.
- Its small size may not be suitable for long trips since you cannot add many things into it.
Osprey Packs Women’s Kyte 36 Backpack
This design is specifically for women as Osprey tailored it to fit their body better than other series. Since it has a zippered sleeping bag compartment and also sleeping pad straps, the Kyte 36 would be the perfect backpack for overnight camping trips.
This pack is known to be durable, which can withstand any environment that you are in, from canyons to alpine regions. It is also incredibly helpful to bring on any trip that you wish to go on. There are attachment areas for your gear, a rain cover to protect your backpack during awful weather, and ample space to place all your essential equipment in.
The Kyte 36 is another backpack from Osprey that utilizes the Airscape back panel. You can adjust it to fit your specific torso length. The company included the harness and hip belt to ensure that you can comfortably carry your heavy loads. Since your bag may be too heavy, there are compression straps that can help stabilize the entire weight. Without these, you could quickly lose your balance due to the uneven mass.
- Sizing and fit are perfect for women.
- There is an external reservoir sleeve you can use.
- You can place your water bottle or other items into the dual stretch mesh side pockets.
- Zippered hipbelt pockets are available for you to place essential small things that you may need access to throughout the journey.
- On the front, there is a panel of Daisy chains, where you can attach other gears that you wish to bring.
- It is a medium-sized bag, which means you cannot use it for long haul trips.
- The top part of the pack will not close properly when the inside is packed with your belongings.
Osprey Packs Porter 30 Travel Backpack
When going on a trip, sometimes a duffel bag isn’t large enough, while a backpacking-specific bag is too huge. In this predicament, the Porter series would be an excellent choice. Other than its medium size, it also has StraightJacket compression straps that can transform your bag into a smaller one, whenever needed. The sidewalls are padded, which can keep your belongings safe and secure inside the pack.
This design is suitable as check-in luggage since you can stowaway both the harness and hip belt, to prevent the dangling straps from getting stuck on objects throughout the transport. If you wish to add a shoulder strap, there are D-ring attachments available for you to latch it onto your Porter 30 backpack.
- There is a zippered pocket on the top to provide access to some of your essential materials.
- Your laptop or tablet would be safe inside the lockable zip sleeve.
- The sidewalls are stable enough to stay open while you pack, making it much easier to do.
- The massive U-zip allows for quick packing.
- All the handles are padded, making it comfortable and easy to hoist.
- There are cord loops available if you wish to attach an Osprey Daylite daypack.
- There are several pockets, including two zippered ones inside, to keep yourself organized.
- Straps are thin and short, which may be uncomfortable to bring around for an extended period.
- There is no place to store your water bottle.
Osprey Packs Escapist 32 Daypack
Exploring some rough terrains? Or do you enjoy riding your bike for hours and hours? Well, the Escapist 32 would be an excellent choice for these activities. The design allows the weight of the bag to be balanced. This is especially important because accidents may happen if the load is not stable.
There is a front panel with a zipper, which allows you to access the main compartment conveniently. Once you open it, you will also be able to see all your equipment. There is a separate compartment for you to store objects that you don’t want to combine with your gear. During your trip, you may experience bad weather and the integrated rain cover would be the perfect remedy. It can keep your backpack safe from the rain.
- You can place some of your things in any of the external pockets or stage options available.
- On the shoulder strap, there is a pocket specifically for your cellphone to be placed in.
- You can make use of the external hydration sleeve.
- There are integrated reflective accents and attachment points for blinker lights, which increase your visibility if you are still out at night.
- You can store your sunglasses or delicate belongings in the scratch-free pocket.
- Airscape back panel provides sufficient ventilation and comfort.
- You won’t have to worry about losing your bike helmet since you can attach it on the Lidlock helmet attachment.
- You must fill the bottom compartment first so that it could support the items stored in the upper space.
- Some pockets may be too tight, making it difficult to reach in to get your belongings.
Osprey Packs Fairview 55 Women’s Travel Backpack
This backpack is another one that Osprey designed specifically for women. It is lightweight, making it the ideal pack to bring on your fast-moving trips. The company was aiming for a design with minimalist weights to focus more on features that could enhance your traveling experience.
For your storage space to increase, the company incorporated a detachable daypack. You may also stowaway the harness and hip belt in a zippered rear flap for safe-keeping. All backpackers know how certain areas quickly wear out after continuous use. However, Osprey made sure that they used durable fabrics in these spots to ensure the longevity of the bag.
- Both top and side handles are padded, making it easier to carry.
- There are internal compression straps to hold your items in place.
- The external compression straps stabilize the total weight of the packed bag.
- You can store your tablet and laptop safely into the lockable sleeve provided.
- Several pockets are present to keep your belongings organized.
- There is a scratch-free zippered slash pocket, which is also heat-embossed.
- When you pack the bag entirely, it will be challenging to balance the heavyweight for an extended period.
- The detachable daypack is not as durable as the Fairview 55.
Information About Osprey Brand
Mike Pfotenhauer, the current owner and founder of Osprey, first established the company in 1974. Since then, he reviewed each product design before he approved it for manufacturing.
Osprey has continuously provided hikers and explorers everywhere in the world, a variety of backpacks that would be suited for their expeditions. Each series were designed for a specific activity. Some designers even created gender-specific and age-specific bags.
As employees work hard to continue providing excellent-quality backpacks, they follow five guiding principles, namely: innovation, integrity, quality, respect, and stewardship. Osprey guarantees that if any of the bags you’ve purchased from them, whether it was yesterday or in 1974, gets damaged for whatever reason, they will repair it without any charge.
What Features to Look For When Buying an Osprey Backpack
If you are searching for a backpack, you have to consider several factors before deciding on one.
When you go backpacking, there are plenty of things that you need to bring, especially if you are planning to explore the wilderness. Some pieces of equipment are weighty, such as your sleeping bag, sleeping pad, trekking poles, and ice tools. It is dangerous to haul such a heavy bag for a long time because it will strain your body and may even affect your posture negatively. To decrease the total weight of your pack, the bag itself must be lightweight.
The materials that make-up the backpack needs to be light so that you can protect your back, shoulders, and hips. Osprey provides bags that utilize the anti-gravity suspension system, which ensures that the weight is evenly distributed to prevent it from shifting back and forth throughout your journey.
Although you want light materials, you still have to make sure that it is durable. There are several spots on a backpack that can easily be worn out after continuous and prolonged use. Because it has to hoist up so much weight for some time, you cannot avoid damages. However, to lengthen the time before that happens, you must select a backpack that uses durable fabric such as ripstop nylon.
Another essential factor to consider is the volume of your backpack. Each bag has a corresponding capacity. If you want to go on lengthy trips, it would be best to look for a relatively bigger bag with higher volume. Selecting such a backpack will ensure that you can get a lot of your belongings and equipment into the bag and with you on your adventure.
Imagine having to bring such a full bag with you on a whole-day hike. Not only is it tiring for the feet but also incredibly uncomfortable, especially if the backpack does not contour to your body. You have to be mindful of the back panel, harness, and hip belt. These are the parts of the pack that will stick to your body during use. Luckily, Osprey provides backpacks with Fit-on-the-Fly hip belts and IsoForm harnesses, which you can easily adjust to fit your body figure. Only when you snuggly position it on your body will you feel comfortable after long hours of walking with a heavy backpack.
- Pockets and Sleeves
Since you will be bringing plenty of objects, you need to stay organized. Select an Osprey backpack that has several pockets for you to place your essentials in and other sleeves that may protect specific items, like laptops, tablets, sunglasses, and electronics.
- External attachments
Of course, there are times when you will need to bring extra gear to navigate through different terrains. Particular Osprey bags have attachment points for your trekking poles, ice tools, and other types of equipment. Another feature that a lot of Osprey backpacks have is the external or internal hydration reservoir sleeve. It provides better access to water instead of having to pull out your water bottle now and then.
- Compression straps
Internal and external compression straps are vital for the stability and security of your backpack. The former can help by holding your belongings in place, while the latter prevents the weight of your bag from shifting side to side while you walk.
- Other features
You can also find Osprey backpacks with integrated rain cover, to prevent water from entering. Always remember that your pack is not waterproof, so you must utilize the cover when the rain begins to pour. You may also use the FlapJacket, which can protect your gear when you take off the top lid.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I select the right size for my Osprey backpack?
The best way is to visit the nearest Osprey Dealer or shop to try the bags out yourself. However, the company also provided a sizing and fitting guide that you can refer to.
- How are women’s backpacks different from men’s?
Men and women have different figures and measurements, especially torso lengths. Women’s packs would come with women-specific harness and hip belt, to ensure that it will fit perfectly. Designers created designs that would consider the comfort of a woman’s chest area. Also, the hip belt would be slightly angled upwards to cup the wide hips of a woman.
- Can I use my Osprey packs as my check-in luggage on the plane?
It depends on the series that you chose to buy. For some bags, you can stowaway the harness and hip belt. Doing so will prevent your bag from getting caught in any machinery throughout the transport process.
- What if I need to get my pack repaired?
Osprey offers the All Mighty Guarantee, wherein they will fix your bag for you. It is in effect for the entire life of your Osprey product. You can request for a Return Authorization number (ZRA#) through this link. Remember that you should never send in your backpack if you haven’t received the ZRA# and detailed shipping instructions.
- When I send my backpack, who will pay for the shipping cost?
It is your responsibility to pay for all charges that you would incur for the shipping. Make sure that you choose a carrier that provides a tracking number. However, don’t worry, because Osprey will cover the costs of the repair and the return shipping fees.
Selecting the perfect pack for you is not an easy task, especially if you have lots of options to choose from. However, this discussion of the ten best Osprey backpacks could give you an idea of which one would suit you best.
Remember that each series or design was created for specific activities or purposes. If you need to find one for long haul trips, make sure that you select the one that can hold all your essentials, gears, and pieces of equipment. However, if you are only going on a day trip, then you won’t have to choose a large and bulky one. All you have to remember is to do your research before purchasing. Good luck and bon voyage!