If you enjoy traveling light while you are outdoors, then you will know the importance of owning the best backpack. It doesn’t matter if it’s to carry your study materials to school or to transport your camping gear as you journey across the country, with the right backpack, it should be a walk in the park.
The Fjallraven Kanken backpacks are some of the best you can find in the market when shopping for lightweight travel bags. While there are different brands of the Swedish bag, we have put together a review of six of the best Fjallraven kanken backpacks you can buy in 2020.
You can also find our buying guide and answers to some of the frequently asked questions at the end of the review. So we encourage you to stick around till the end of this piece. Without wasting any more time, let’s get right into the gist.
- 1 6 Best Fjallraven Kanken Backpacks Reviews
- 2 What Features to Look For When Buying a Fjallraven Kanken Backpack
- 3 Conclusion
6 Best Fjallraven Kanken Backpacks Reviews
The Fjallraven Kanken Classic design supports everyday use. Made from 100% vinylal, the iconic design of the Swedish masterpiece dates as far back as the 1970s. The bag material is resistant to dirt and water and is also easy to clean. With an ample storage space of 16 liters, if we were to liken it to a keg, the backpack supports a weight of over 300 grams. So transporting your books, computer, cameras, and other outdoor essentials wouldn’t be an issue.
The ergonomic shoulder straps allow you to carry it on your back without hassle. While the dual snap handles at the top will enable you to hang on to the bag. The different compartments of the Fjallraven Classic include heavy-duty zippers to help secure your valuables.
While it is available in a variety of colors, we find the royal blue to be entirely timeless and versatile for the everyday backpacker.
- Shoulder straps and snap handles make it easy to transport the backpack.
- It is fitted with quality zippers that keep your travel essential safe all the time.
- The material of the bag is water-resistant, which helps to protect the content of the bag from the elements.
- Ample storage space is enough to fit in everyday essentials.
- The backpack does not require frequent cleaning, thanks to the dirt-resistant vinylal material.
- Too many imitations of the original bag are available in the market, so you have to keep your eyes peeled when shopping for one.
- Too many color options, making it challenging to decide on which one to settle for, which is why we suggested the royal blue due to its bright and multipurpose nature.
If you are shopping for a rucksack that rocks, the Fjallraven Rucksack has got your back. Made just for the perfect hiking trip, it can also serve as a quality bag for moving around the town.
The bag material is a combination of polyester and cotton, which are highly durable and lightweight for brisk movement. The main compartment of the bag has a large storage space, with a snow lock and inner pockets to hide your valuables. There is also a padded bottom for holding your laptop, and you can also hang your thermos in the upright pockets just the way you like to.
On the top of the lid are straps attached to metal locks at the front, providing added security to the contents of the bag. The handle on top of the cover makes it possible to carry the bag like a briefcase, while there are shoulder straps that can be easily adjusted so you can comfortably wear the bag.
- The backpack features enough room to carry all your essentials when on the move.
- The material of the bag is highly long-lasting, so you don’t have to worry about getting a replacement any time soon.
- An added security features in the form of a lid with straps that attach to metal locks ensures the contents of the bag stay safe.
- Quickly adjustable shoulder straps give you all the freedom to carry the backpack just the way you like.
- The light-colored lining of the inside of the bag makes it easy to see the contents of the pack.
- Although the bag construction is top-notch, it may be difficult fitting a medium flask in the side pockets.
The Fjallraven Foldsack number one also makes it on our list of the Fjallraven Kanken backpacks. The material of the bag is a heavy-duty G-1000 fabric that combines polyester and cotton to provide an eco-friendly solution to carrying your “stuff” around the block or to the mountain top.
With a fully functional storage space that can house all your everyday essentials, for example, the bag features a padded sleeve for your laptop and can support sizes of up to 15 inches. There is a main compartment with enough room to fit your camera, change of clothes, a pair of shoes, sunscreen, binoculars, water bottle, and any other thing you need to get lost in the great outdoors. You can also fit your keys, and credit cards in the easily accessible front zippered pocket without opening the top of the bag.
The rear of the bag is padded, which helps to keep you comfortable. There is no much stress on your shoulders with the supportive straps, which also make it possible to change how you carry it on your back. The handle at the top of the bag allows you to hold the bag like a briefcase. It is made from a textile material that is soft on the hands, so you can endure hanging on to it.
- The fabric of the bag is sturdy and can withstand everyday use
- You can comfortably travel with all your essentials, as the kit comes with enough storage room
- Extra padding at the back of the bag protects you from the contents of the backpack
- Straps are comfortable on the shoulders
- Can be used as an all-purpose backpack
- There are imitations of the original Fjallraven Foldsack, which can leave you with a reduced experience if you end up with one.
If what you are in the market for a large Fjallraven outdoor bag, then the Totepack number two may be worth it. It is a larger version of the popular Totepack number one, which is an equally spacious bag. The fabric of the bag is heavy duty and is easy to clean. Also, it can withstand any weather, be it snow, rain, or heat, making it a tote you can carry all year round.
The dual handles on the bag allow you to move the bag with your hands or on the shoulders. The base of the bag features a natural-toned leather for added durability, so you don’t have to worry about the bottom of your bag ripping off when you drop it on the ground. The main compartment of the bag has a zippered opening that gives you easy access to the contents of your tote while on the go. The inner pockets give you just the right space to stash your keys and wallet.
The short handle is a leathery fabric, while the long strap is a textile material that is easy on the hands and shoulder. You also get enough room for carrying all you can in this Fjallraven tote bag.
- Equipped with enough space for everyday travel essentials
- Handling the bag is possible with two straps at the top of the bag
- Inside pockets provide storage space for the smallest of your valuables
- Highly durable fabric strong enough to resist any weather
- The base of the bag features a thicker material that protects the bottom from wear and tear
- Aside from the fact that it can’t serve as a backpack, there isn’t much to hate about the Fjallraven Totepack no.2
The Raven 28 is another Fjallraven masterpiece designed for backpackers in need of a quality outdoor bag. The bag material combines recycled and organic matter that results in a heavy-duty and sturdy backpack that supports regular use.
The padded sleeve makes it easy to tuck your laptop and documents, while the side any of the side pockets can fit your water bottle. You can also use the front pockets to secure your keys, and the fleece-lined pocket can house your sunglasses or sunscreen.
The back panel behind the bag acts as a cushion from the contents of the pack. You can also quickly move around with it using the carryon handles or wear it on your back using the shoulder straps. You can pick from several available color options, but we find the navy color to be suited for everyday backpacking.
- Made from highly durable fabric that guarantees the longevity of the bag
- Moving the bag around is possible with the help of handles and shoulder straps
- It features enough room to keep travel essentials close by all the time
- Cushioning at the back of the bag make it easy to move with the backpack
- Several colors to choose from to match your style
- It may be large enough for your school books, but may not be perfect for your camping gear
Just like the Raven 28, the Fjallraven 20 is also a combination of polyester and cotton fabric that is both eco-friendly and durable enough for everyday use. With this bag, you get 20 liters of storage space and can store a combined weight of almost 700 grams in all the many compartments of the backpack.
The handle on the top of the bag allows you to transport the Raven 20 like a briefcase while you can also carry it on your back with the shoulder straps for both short and long-distance travel. The tall shape of the bag may give the impression that the backpack may be stressful to move around, but that is not the case.
Overall, we think this could make a suitable backpack for camping, hiking, or any other outdoor purpose for that matter.
- A fashionable backpack designed for lightweight travel
- Bag fabric is a highly sturdy material that can resist wear and tear
- The pack is comfortable on the hands and shoulder making it perfect for traveling a long distance
- The versatile design of the bag makes it an all-purpose outdoor backpack
- The bag doesn’t need frequent cleaning unlike other everyday travel bags
- Too many colors to choose from can prove to be a challenge if you have difficulties making a decision, which is why we suggest you start by checking out this one in redwood colors
Information About Fjallraven Kanken
You might be wondering what’s so particular about the Fjallraven Kanken brands of backpacks, and why it is a household name in Sweden, and other parts of Europe. Well, we could easily assume that it is because of the fact the brand is over half a century old.
The brand prides itself on its fully functional multipurpose bag designed for outdoor use. Users can benefit from the many storage rooms that come with each backpack. And whether you are a student, professional, nor traveler, you can expect to find just the right bag for you.
What Features to Look For When Buying a Fjallraven Kanken Backpack
Now we will be discussing some of the features to look out for in a quality Fjallraven Backpack. There are too many brands available in the market, and not to mention that you also get to deal with a lot of imitations, so it is only right that you know how to differentiate between one that is worth buying and the ones to avoid.
Below are some of the features of the Fjallraven backpacks.
- Bag Material
The first thing to take note of is the fabric of the bag. Most Fjallraven backpacks feature a combination of a heavy-duty, yet lightweight polyester and cotton material that ensures durability. You should get the material selection right to avoid spending on a replacement in the nearest future.
- Storage Space
Another crucial feature to look for is how much your Fjallraven backpack can carry. You would need to base your decision on the thing you intend to transport. There are bags with inner spaces for carrying different laptop sizes, so endeavor to check that you got that part covered. You can also find the ones with smaller pockets for storing your keys, and wallet. If you love to move around with a water bottle, you can check for one that features side pockets.
Remember that you will be moving around a long distance with the bag, so it is essential that you opt for one that you can easily carry. Check that the backpack has a top handle to hold it like a briefcase or shoulder straps to transport it on your back. It is also worth mentioning to check for additional padding behind the bag and in other areas where it is needed. Carrying a loaded backpack on a hike can seem like a lot, so it wouldn’t hurt to save yourself all that discomfort.
Going with the fact that style is timeless, you will need to settle for a versatile backpack that can stand the test of time. Remember that you will be carrying the bag for a while, so you should opt for colors and designs that are suitable for all-purpose and weather conditions.
- Weather Proof
The Fjallraven backpack should be resistant to water, so your valuables don’t get damaged on a rainy day. If you are in need of a bag that you will be taking with you in summer, winter, fall, and autumn, then you need a backpack that is weather friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions
As promised at the beginning of this article, here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions most buyers have when in the market for the Fjallraven Kanken backpack.
- What is the G-1000 Fabric?
When shopping for Fjallraven backpacks, you may come across the term G-1000 material and wonder what type of fabric it is. In short, it is a custom fabric made by the combination of 65% polyester and 35% cotton with the help of Greenland wax. It is what makes the back suitable for all-weather and resistant to dirt.
- Are Fjallraven Backpacks Suitable for Schooling?
There is often the assumption that the Fjallraven range of backpacks is designed solely for outdoor use. However, this is not true as one of the reasons for inventing the bag was to provide Swedish kids with a comfortable bag to carry their study materials to their school.
- Where Can You Find Quality Fjallraven Backpacks to Buy?
Since you are already aware that there are imitations of the brand in the market, you probably would be worried as to where to find authentic products to buy. We advise that you purchase directly from the manufacturer or verified third-party sellers with credibility based on previous customer feedback.
- Is There a Warranty on the Product?
It is possible to get a warranty that covers a specified period. It is best to confirm from the seller, so you know to what extent your warranty covers.
Backpacks make for comfortable and lightweight travel. They are a necessity if you love to enjoy quality time outdoors. Whether you are going on a camping trip with the gang or looking for a travel bag for carrying your gear to work, the Fjallraven Kanken range of travel bags can be your solution to your backpacking needs. You can start by checking through our review of the six best Fjallraven Kanken backpacks, and don’t forget the features you need to look out for when shopping for a quality outdoor bag.