Backpacks have been around since the early 1900s. In those days (when our great grandparents used to attend school), they used to come with slim shoulder straps. The brand and design really did not matter.
Because the student or adult wanted to have a backpack with them to carry their things. Students wanted to have a bag to carry their books and stationery items. For adults, they wanted a bag to carry their files and papers.
Yes, those days, people did face back problems and issues with their spine. Sadly, nothing much could be done about the bags they used because makers did not have the equipment or technology to design back-friendly bags.
Americans are prone to back pain at some point in their lives. According to research, more than a massive 60% of the US population have back problems. Not to mention, people who are more than 30 years experience mild neck and shoulder pain.
Poorly designed products and bad postures have led to back, shoulder, and neck pain among people of all ages. Medical data shows that this is one of the universal health ailments in the country.
Healthcare for shoulder, back, and neck problems alone cost more than $40 billion in America. These are alarming figures, indeed. The real downside of it is people stop doing what they love doing.
If you are somebody who enjoys outdoor trekking or hiking, having back pain, then you forced yourself to avoid it. It could be an outdoor activity for that matter. Many people feel that, if they avoid backpacks, the back and shoulder pains may stop.
However, that is not the case. Backpacks come with excellent support for your shoulders, neck, and back. The good news is that you have a solution for every problem, whether it is your back, neck, or shoulder.
Choosing the best backpacks for back pain
When you have a plethora of backpacks to choose from, then it can be a daunting task for you to choose the best from them. If you have the same dilemma, then this amazon review can help you soothe your mind in making the best decision for you. Unknowingly, many people tend to purchase the first backpack that their eyes see. Unfortunately, for them, the backpack ends up hurting their back or causing severe health problems like shoulder and neck pain.
Not to mention, wearing these backpacks can cause serious discomfort throughout the day. These backpacks not only cause your spinal cord to bend in the wrong manner but radiate pain to your neck and shoulder regions. It can be excruciating and those of you, who have been through that, know just how difficult it is to bear even for a few minutes. So, why suffer in silence, when you have solutions at hand.
We have researched and gathered for you some of the best backpacks for back pain, just for you. These backpacks can definitely bring you noticeable improvements in your daily life, including a reduction in your back pain. We have provided you with everything you need to know about the best backpacks for back pain.
- 1 10 Best Rated Backpacks For Back Pain Reviews
- 1.1 Venture Pal Lightweight Hiking Backpack Daypack
- 1.2 TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack
- 1.3 The North Face Borealis Men’s Backpack
- 1.4 Osprey Packs Farpoint 55 Men’s Travel Backpack
- 1.5 Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
- 1.6 Gregory Baltoro 75L Pack
- 1.7 JanSport Agave Backpack
- 1.8 Veto Pro Pac TECH PAC (Camouflage)
- 1.9 Incase Icon Pack, Black, One Size
- 1.10 Vaschy Vintage Leather Backpack
- 2 Why Some Backpack May Cause Pain?
- 3 How a good quality backpack reduces pain?
- 4 What Features to Look For When Buying a Backpack for Back Pain?
- 5 Conclusion
10 Best Rated Backpacks For Back Pain Reviews
Venture Pal Lightweight Hiking Backpack Daypack
Are you looking for a light-weight and water resistant backpack? Then the Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Hiking Backpack is a good choice because it is made from high-quality material.
The zippers work efficiently too. You do not need to worry about them breaking down or getting damaged. The bag comes with several pockets, you can store as many items as you want when you plan to go on a long journey or a hike.
The durability of the backpack is efficient, thanks to the bottom part. It comes, made of a double layer and the shoulder straps are easy on your body. They come with ample sponge layers and are easy on your shoulders. You can adjust the length of your shoulder straps. It also comes with two front pockets for you to place those last-minute snacks or other items. The side pockets can easily store your water bottle and umbrella.
Weighing at just 0.7lb, you can fill in more than 30 liters of luggage. The makers offer you a lifetime warranty, which means you can exchange them whenever you want to.
- The pricing is reasonable, which means those of a tight budget can go for it.
- The backpack is resistant to water.
- It comes made from lightweight material.
- It is portable and easy to carry around during outdoor activities.
- The manufacturers offer you a lifetime warranty.
- The backpack comes with several compartments.
- Not durable for long journeys, especially during winter and cold regions.
For those of you wanting a cheap yet durable backpack, you might want to go with the Venture Pal Lightweight Packable bag.
TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack
If you are somebody who likes outdoor action, then you may have come across this backpack. It is a common sight to see among seasoned campers. It is no wonder that the TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is your ideal companion for trekking and camping.
The main reason the backpack is your outdoor friend id is because it is affordable; it is durable and has a lifetime warranty. What more can you really ask for? You will be amazed to know that the bag can carry 55 liters of baggage easily and is light on your back.
You can adjust the shoulder straps. It is ideal for people who are tall and slightly on the heavier side. Not to mention, the backpack comes made from 600D Ripstock nylon that is highly durable.
The internal frame is compact and also comes with dual aluminum stays. It weighs slightly more than 4 pounds. As you can carry 55 liters of baggage, it is suitable for a 5-day trip or shorter. The lumbar pad is open-cell foam offering you ample comfort.
TETON has an efficient customer support team, whom you can communicate with if you face any issues with the bag. This is a unisex backpack and is suitable for people of all ages.
- You can adjust the backpack according to your body shape and size.
- It comes with several compartments, ideal for storing several items.
- The product has sound hydration systems.
- One of the best storage capacity at 55 liters.
- It comes made from nylon that gives it durability.
- At times, you feel that it is quite heavy, not suitable for long treks.
If you are looking for a backpack that is suitable for a wide range of outdoor activities like trekking or a long journey, then you know what to do.
The North Face Borealis Men’s Backpack
If you are an urban bred individual, then you may want to use the North Face Borealis Men’s Backpack. This is a multi-functional backpack ideal for you. Whether you are running to catch your flight or your train, riding to your office, the suspension on the bag is not a let down.
It provides you with adequate support for your shoulders that enables you to carry weight with ease. The back panel comes padded with air-mesh and a spine channel along with a PE sheet. The main compartment is quite large and spacious, ideal for placing different kinds of laptops.
On the side pockets, you can place your water bottles without hassle. There is also a secondary compartment for placing small items like books, food items, and others. Did we mention the outer top zipper pocket?
Yes, this is those small, but easy to access storage compartments, where you can place those tiny, but important items like keys, glasses, smartphone, and your medicines.
- The FlexVent padding helps you feel relaxed and comfortable when you are walking.
- The backpack comes in a barrage of colors for you to choose from.
- The shoulder straps come contoured for additional comfort.
- You can find a hip strap in the front.
- The interiors are roomy for baggage up to 55 liters.
- Slots in the backpack enable you to place items specifically in there.
- It has no warranty.
If you are in search of a compact, but a multi-functional backpack, then the North Face Borealis Men’s Backpack is your best option.
Osprey Packs Farpoint 55 Men’s Travel Backpack
Are you on the lookout for a large outdoor backpack? Then the Osprey Packs Farpoint 55 Men’s Travel Backpack comes into the picture. That is because it comes with many great features that make it the ideal outdoor companion on your trek or long travels.
The backpack comes with two unique features that are wholly absent in many bags. The first is that it opens like a suitcase. You may, at times, get confused using it. That means you can view all your luggage in one go and are done in a minute.
Not to mention, it comes with a suspension system that is suitable for trekking bags. The suspension system consists of shoulder straps, padded hip belts, and an internal frame. The convenience and comfort of use are quite good.
More importantly, the bag is perfect for those with back pain. The lightweight frame spreads evenly throughout the body, around the hips and back. This reduces the strain on your lower back. A mesh panel on the backpack provides you with adequate ventilation through the bag. The main compartment comes with a massive zipper and the lockable sliders.
- The suspension frame is quite lightweight.
- It is a durable product and can last you for years.
- The straps are dual compression.
- The design is sleek and slim.
- The pack is affordable.
- Lack of external pockets on the backpack makes your travel strenuous on long journeys.
If you are an avid hiker or trekker, with an affinity to outdoor activities, having lower back pain, then this backpack can help you out with your passion.
Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
The makers of the Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack have proved their seriousness in designing a backpack that is ideal for those with chronic back pain. You get enhanced air flow with the air mesh that is present on the straps on the shoulder.
Thanks to the pockets on the side of the bag, you can place your water bottles and stay hydrated for long periods of time. Other features like the stabilizers, load lifters, stabilizer straps that come with the removable hip belt, and waist buckle, keep the bag close to your back.
The beauty of the product is that it is slightly smaller than most of the bags available in the market. Which means, it is slightly on the heavier side, due to its robust build, thanks to the aluminum frame.
That is the reason the product is able to retain its shape when it is packed up to the brim. One thing to note is that the suspension system is smaller when compared to other backpacks. The bag comes fitted with the Kelty’s trademarked suspension that is adjustable.
- This is a very large backpack coming at 50 liters capacity.
- It does not strain your back thanks to sturdy build.
- It is incredibly affordable.
- The backpack is quite comfortable on your lower back.
- It is ideal to use as air luggage.
- It can, at times, get heavy due to excessive load.
If you do not carry heavy gear with you during your trekking or hiking, then you can skip this bag. However, if you love to travel on long journeys, then you need a large bag that can accommodate your luggage, then you must consider the Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack.
Gregory Baltoro 75L Pack
Coming with a massive 75L pack, the Gregory Baltoro is your best friend when it comes to the heavy-hauling of goods. The product can carry 75 liters with ease, ensuring that the body does not cease feeling comfortable. The shoulder straps and hip belt, to play a pivotal role in ensuring that as you walk, the body is not put into any sort of discomfort. It weighs around 4 pounds, which is slightly on the heavier side.
However, you can get rid of the extra fittings that come with it, if you want to. The backpack comes with 10 exterior pockets, 2 zipper pockets, 3 zippered pockets at the top, and a large mesh pocket at the front.
Apart from that, you have 2 pockets on the hip belt and 2 mesh water bottle holders. You can easily access the main compartment by unzipping the zipper. This feature is quite handy for those of trekking or hiking. The ventilation is slightly on the weak side because you may not feel adequate airflow in-between your backpack and back body area. To protect all your clothing and food items from water, you can use the rain cover.
Lastly, the durability of the backpack is excellent thanks to the 630D nylon material used in designing it. This is one of the strongest materials used to produce backpacks.
- You can place a massive 75 liters of baggage in it.
- The backpack quickly takes the shape of your body.
- The build is quite sturdy and gives you good feedback.
- It comes with a rain cover that keeps your items safe.
- The 630D nylon makes it durable as it can withstand rough usage.
- The ventilation is noticeably short that does not allow you to use it for long hours.
Coming with a 630D nylon and a layer of foam cushioning, this backpack can withstand any amount of abuse outdoors. If you travel a lot or love trekking outdoors, then Gregory Baltoro 75L Pack – Men’s is your best companion.
JanSport Agave Backpack
It is safe to say that the JanSport Agave Backpack is an urban backpack. It comes with an 8-zipper on the main compartment itself. This provides you with easy access to your items placed inside the bag.
You can use it for several activities for school, college, or work. You can slide it on your back and walk, run, ride, or take the subway. As it is lightweight, you feel no discomfort whatsoever, thanks to the 600 Denier Polyester material that is good to last few years without wear and tear.
It comes with dual water bottle pockets on the side. There is also a front utility pocket with an organizer and gear loop. You will find the tricot lined tablet pocket useful for placing medium-sized items.
The side compression straps enable you to have the backpack close to your body. Lastly, the mesh panel remains dry, absorbing the sweat quickly. The makers could have included water-resistant material that makes its presence felt during the rains.
- It has a reputed name with over 50 years of producing backpacks.
- It is a reliable product as it comes with less wear and tear.
- It is compact, and you can place 15” laptops without much hassle.
- The material quality is excellent and the design is quite sleek.
- The zippers and material are of high quality.
- It is not water-resistant.
This is a no-frills backpack. So, if you are looking for a reliable, well-built product, then the JanSport Agave Backpack is the one to go ahead with.
Veto Pro Pac TECH PAC (Camouflage)
The Veto Pro Pac TECH PAC (Camouflage) is the result of the merger between Veto Pro Pac and TrueTimber. They have come up with immensely cool products. The backpack enables the technicians to carry around equipment and tools easily.
Not to mention, when they have climbed tall buildings or ladders, then this bag shows its true colors. It comes with excellent construction, a center panel that is patented, injection-molded, and is waterproof.
On the front panel, you can find tall vertical pockets. They come colored in light grey, which does not hamper your visibility. You also have a measuring tape clip holder. The stainless steel clip holder is compact and found on the side of the bag.
It comes with an astounding 50 pockets in total that gives you immense flexibility. Your profession does not really matter, because you will find this bag very helpful. It also comes with a quick-release handle that allows you to access the compartment.
You can place a wide range of items inside the bag, including cordless drills, parts boxes, hand tools, meters, hoses, and a tablet. The backpack allows easy access with the quick release handle and causes no discomfort whatsoever. The bag comes with a 5-year warranty that is good enough.
- The best option for HVAC professions.
- The bag had 50 pockets overall.
- The material is quite sturdy and durable.
- This is a reputed brand name.
- You can quickly move around with the bag.
- It is slightly on the expensive side.
The Veto Pro Pac TECH PAC (Camouflage) is not your everyday bag. That does not mean, it is only intended for HVAC professions, even others can consider it if you are willing to pay the asking price.
Incase Icon Pack, Black, One Size
When you want a spacious and organized backpack, the Incase Icon Pack, Black, One Size is the one. It comes with 3 large compartments to place your laptop, tablet, and smartphone.
The integrated sternum straps present on the backpack enables you to spread the weight evenly so that your back does not put to any discomfort. You also have ample channels for airflow due to the back panel that is compression molded.
Since it is entirely padded, the laptop is well protected inside your bag. The construction of the backpack is worth mentioning because it comes from the 840D ballistic nylon that is strong and robust.
You can easily access your items in the bag. Not to mention, you also have a side pocket, and the power pocket is located near the hip. However, you can place audio or power devices in there, thanks to the integrated cable port.
- It is very comfortable.
- The back panel is comfortable and breathable.
- You can use it as hand luggage during air travel.
- The backpack is very durable, thanks to the heavy nylon material.
- It is able to retain its shape when stuffed with items.
- The padding and strapping are very comfortable to use for long hours.
- The interiors are spacious, along with a faux-fur lined pouch.
- This is a very reliable product.
- You will find placing large books or items inside quite stressful.
While, the Incase ICON backpack is a robust, efficient product, and comfortably contour with the shape of your body, it comes at an incredibly high price.
Vaschy Vintage Leather Backpack
If you want a book bag that is your everyday luggage carrier, then the Vaschy Vintage Leather Backpack for Men Canvas Rucksack is the one. The fashionably designed book bag comes made from very high-quality leather. When you want to make yourself heard in the room, then this canvas rucksack can do it for you. Apart from that, the cotton canvas bag comes with a soft, yet shrink resistant and breathable material.
You can find the main pocket covered by a leather flap. It conceals 2 leather straps for tight packing and better security. You also have padded compartments and 2 interior pockets. The main pocket is large and comes with a smooth zipper.
Not to mention, you can place water bottles on the side 2 pockets. In the front pocket, you can use the leather flap that comes with a magnetic closure and zipped pocket at the rear.This is the perfect backpack for school and college students.
They can carry notebooks, books, and stationaries. For working professionals, you can store your keys, wallets, 15-inch laptop, tablets, and other necessities with ease. Overall, this is an ideal backpack for hiking, walking, shopping, camping, and holidaying.
- This is a multi-functional bag.
- You can store several stationery items there with ease.
- It comes with a sleek, ergonomic design.
- A perfect option for students and working professionals.
- It is affordable.
- You can use it as check-in luggage during air travel.
- It is not resistant to water.
If you are looking for a classic, yet elegant backpack that is light on your back as well as a purse, then the Vaschy Vintage Leather Backpack for Men is the ideal choice.
Why Some Backpack May Cause Pain?
Right from the day, we start our schooling, college and then eventually become adults, we carry tons of baggage on our backpacks. It is true. If you look around you, at your office, bus or train station, airport, schools, and colleges, you can find one thing in common.
People of all ages, towing a backpack along their backs. It is as if the bag is attached to them like twins. As you can see, backpacks and humans are inseparable. For that reason, we have decided to warn you of the harm it can cause when not used properly.
- Yes, it is true backpacks can harm your back, shoulder, and neck. More often than not, we tend to carry too many things that we do not need. When that is the case, then your back is carrying more weight than it can.
- What that does is put unnecessary weight on your shoulders and neck. This force can pull your body in a backward direction. This causes your spine to change position, which is extremely uncomfortable.
- When you have to stand up with a heavy backpack on your shoulders, then you need to bend towards the front. In some cases, you may have to arch your back that can cause it to change its shape.
- This, in turn, leads to your spine to compress. Because of this abnormal compression, your muscles and ligaments are overworked. When that happens, your shoulder, neck, and back regions are intensely affected.
- In worse case scenarios, some people are so used to carrying an overweight backpack that they fail to realize how their walking posture has become. As you move around in that wrong posture, your further damaging your spine region, even more.
- The backpack straps also affect your nerves and blood circulation, which can be dangerous. They dig inside your shoulders that interfere with the blood circulation. As your nerves become compressed this way, you may feel some weakness in the regions.
- Standard backpacks do not come designed for people with back pains and problems. It means that if you are using one, then your back is getting bent or in intense pain. For some people, the pain radiates to the neck or shoulder region.
- The age can be a factor here because the older you are, the more the damage. What is worse is that the healing process can take a long time. Hence, small kids and students are advised to make use of a backpack that is light on their back.
- Poorly designed backpacks cause pain because the shoulder straps are thin and slim. Not to mention, the load area does not come with sufficient padding that causes stress on your back when carried for long periods of time.
- In some cases, people tend to use only one shoulder strap for whatever reason. When the backpack is not worn correctly around your shoulders and the weight evenly distributed, back pain is caused.
- It is surprising that, at times, wearing sophisticated backpacks causes back pain because of people wearing them on a single shoulder. When the bag is quite heavy, then it will not only cause pain in your joints but causes dangerous falls.
How a good quality backpack reduces pain?
A good quality backpack comes with all the right elements for reducing the effect of back pains. Due to their robust design, the ergonomic bags lessen the pressure on your shoulder and neck region too. They come with straps and pads that are thick. Not to mention, you can wear them for longer periods of time without feeling any pressure or stress. It immensely reduces the pain and helps to improve your walking posture.
The body and muscles are relaxed when you are moving around with them. That is because there is no pressure or strain on you. When you use a bag regularly, then it is crucial that you use a good quality one. Though you may feel that the need to carry a good quality backpack is not required, over time, your back will tell you a different story. Once you reach a certain age of 40 or more, then you may get severe permanent damage to your back.
What Features to Look For When Buying a Backpack for Back Pain?
Here are a few features that you want to look for when buying backpacks for back pain.
- Ergonomic build
Backpacks, too, come with an ergonomic design that improves your posture and reduces your back pain. They come with S-shaped that conjures with the shape of your back. Not to mention, the padded backpacks enhance comfort when walking with a heavy load.
Apart from that, you also need to keep an eye on the waist, shoulder, and chest straps. These can easily make a difference in comfort. Robustly designed bags enable you to carry many oddly shaped items as well. Remember, not to overload your bag because no matter how well designed the product is, it cannot save your back.
- Anti-theft features
These days, we tend to store valuable things inside our bags. Hence, we must ensure the bags come with anti-theft features. This is a must whether you are working inside an office or going on a hike.
Some of the features include slash-resistant pockets, knife resistant zippers, stainless steel cables, and the like. You can consider backpacks that come with pockets located near your lumbar region. This helps you quickly access your items or check them frequently when traveling in a crowded bus or train. The anti-theft features are vital, especially for those who plan to travel often due to studies or work.
- Water-resistant material
You certainly do not want your items or valuables to be ruined or spoilt due to rain or water. Not to mention food items and relevant documents can get damaged easily. Hence, considering a water-resistant backpack is vital for your cause.
These days, makers are particular that their products are water-resistant. The products can withstand high-pressure water during rains and storms. They also come with several layers of material.
- Compartment numbers
A backpack must help you carry several items at one go. That is the concept since they have been produced and used during the early 1900s. They come with several compartments and divisions within them.
You can store items like your laptop in one of the compartments; you can store books in another compartment, food items, and so on. Not to mention, the water bottle is placed on the holder outside of it.
Based on your usage, you can decide on the number of compartments you want. That is because they improve functionality. Not to mention, more compartments allow better flexibility when you plan to travel overseas or on a long journey.
You must consider the reason for purchasing the backpack. Perhaps, you are looking for a bag to carry your laptop, small items, or hiking. Depending on the storage that you need, you must purchase it.
If you are buying it for your child, then a bag that is less than 30 liters is ideal. You do not want to overburden the child and cause health problems later on. Different backpacks come made and designed for various purposes.
The last pointer to consider before purchasing is the warranty. Like you read above, not all the bags come with a warranty. While some bags have lifetime warranties, some do not. However, it is a good sign that you have landed upon a quality product if they come with a warranty.
At the same time, you can also find bags that come without warranties. This does not have to break the deal.
Tips for relieving pain
You can relieve your back, neck, and shoulder pain, by ensuring that you sleep well in a proper posture at night. Also, make sure that you are not overweight by checking the BMI. You can try out yoga once a week.
This helps you retain your body postures and improves your muscles on the back and neck region. You can also perform some mild stretching exercises at home. Remember, not to strain your body at any given time.
These exercises can help relieve your pain on your back and neck. Of course, if they do not, then you may want to seek immediate medical attention.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does your back hurt from your backpack?
Backpack, when not properly designed, can cause severe back pain. Apart from that, if you overload your bag and walk long distances with it, then you stand to worsen your pain. When you are using a poorly designed product, then you may want to consider replacing it immediately.
- Can using heavy backpacks increase your back pain?
Yes, it will. You must pack your bag according to your physical ability. Though you are using a large bag of 50 liters capacity, if you can carry 30 liters, then limit it to that weight. Not to mention, the backpack must evenly distribute the load on your body.
- How can you identify that your bag is very heavy?
As a new student, hiker, or working professional, you tend to fill the bag to the brim. You do not realize that you have to carry the backpack on your back. With a sore neck, shoulder, or bad back, it can be strenuous.
Though initially, you may not feel (deceptively) the stress on your back, over the next weeks, you will start to notice and feel the pain. Irrespective of the fact that you can lift the bag, you must limit the weight.
When you are suffering from intense back, shoulder, and neck pain, then it is imperative that you invest in a quality backpack. This ensures that your pain does not get worse. The weight is distributed evenly on your back and shoulders.
So, choose wisely from the above-mentioned best backpacks for back pain. This ensures that you do not feel the pain even though you are using the bag regularly. Don’t let the pain get the better of you when you can climb mountains with the backpack.